It’s Time to Detox
No, I am not talking about a physical detox, although that wouldn’t be a bad idea. I’m actually talking about detoxing your beliefs. What? You didn’t know you could do that? Detoxing your mind and beliefs is the key to successfully creating your get-up-and-go attitude and cultivating inner wellness that will navigate you toward happiness and living your best life.
Beliefs at work
Beliefs are merely thoughts or ideas repeated over and over until they become chained to every aspect of our lives. We start to incorporate them as truth, even though they are just misconceptions. We act from this level of misconception and, they are echoed back into our lives as substantial results. Empowering beliefs can support us on our journey to our greatest potential. However, often we are burdened by limiting beliefs that reduce our possibilities and keep us from the achieving success in what we long for.
Parents, teachers, friends and even television programs influence our limiting beliefs, many of which we absorb naively as children. They become embedded in our unconscious and affect everything from how we feel about ourselves to how we interact with others, succeed in our careers and accomplish our goals. However, before we can detox we must first identify the toxicity.
How Can Identify a Limiting Belief?
1. What do you complain about? Are you someone who complains constantly or becomes frustrated about the same thing over and over again? Congratulations, you have uncovered an unconscious belief. Excavating these beliefs will take some focused thought. If you are complaining that you can’t do anything right, which belief do you hold that suggests you deserve to be criticized? If you complain about how little money you have, what belief do you hold that suggests you don’t deserve financial freedom?
2. Observe your current situation. You say you want to lose weight but your cupboard is filled with tins of cookies. Perhaps you have dreamed of starting your own business, yet you work so much that you leave no time to create your exit plan. Where you are right now is a mirror that reflects the beliefs you hold. If you aren’t moving toward what you want, chances are a self- limiting belief is causing you to hit a brick wall. Take a close look at the results you’re getting. If they aren’t where you want to be, dig deeper and explore the beliefs that may be the blame.
3. Pay attention to the self-talk. This is big! What is your inner voice saying? Is it encouraging and helpful, or does it echo negative words that leave you feeling incompetent and guilty? The words we use are powerful and often develop from the beliefs we have. Next time you’re in a situation that feels stressful, scary or difficult, stop and pay attention to what your inner voice is saying. If the words are negative or a put-down, then zip it! In order to be successful, you have got to “get real” with yourself. Examining your own thoughts and experiences might not be comfortable but you have to do it. However, give yourself a break. Approach this excavation with tenderness and lots of self-love. Your inner voice should be your cheer leader not your worse critic.
Let’s do this! Once you’ve identified those self-limiting beliefs, it’s time to rid yourself of them. Here are a few steps you can take today to get this party started!
1. Stop It! Recognize your behavior. If you notice yourself buying ice cream when you want to lose weight…Stop it! If you are watching television instead of developing your business plan for that business you are dreaming of starting… STOP it! Step back, take a couple deep breaths and notice that your behavior is coming from your self- limiting belief and it’s setting you up for failure. What do you do? Step away from the ice cream! Turn off the television and choose the behavior that puts you on track with a more empowering belief.
2. Gather a Supportive Team. I know you have heard the phrase, “Misery loves company.” It’s true. What you think about yourself, what your inner voice says about you requires confirmation. Your circle no doubt helps to support your negative beliefs and your pity party. Yeah, I said it! It’s time for a new party. Invite people into your circle who are positive, encouraging and will counter those negative beliefs with positive words. You need a cheering squad of your very own! You need people who support your dreams and take you serious about the changes you are attempting to make in your life. If your girl keeps inviting you to the ice cream parlor, “Cut her lose!”
3. Out with the old…in with the new. Choose what you want to do in your life and develop a belief to support it. For instance: If you want to have a healthier body, replace your limiting belief of “I can never lose weight” with a better one like, “Each day I am getting healthier and healthier”. Take note of those, “I don’t deserve it”, “I’m not good enough” thoughts and change them to, “I am more than enough to be successful at whatever I choose to do in my life.” Put it in your own words. Now here’s the important part, repeat it over and over. Practice it. Write it down. Say it while looking in the mirror. Think it when things start to get a little chaotic. In time, you’ll develop powerful new habits to support your empowering beliefs.
4. Actions speak loudest. It is not enough to say what you want you must also create action to get what you want. Clean out those cupboards and get rid of that junk food. Don’t even go down the candy aisle when you shop for groceries. Throw away all those negative influences that contradict where you say you want to go. Pull that bike out of the attic and take a ride. Put your business ideas on paper and develop the plans to achieve that dream. Invest in yourself by taking a few classes that will increase your knowledge base. Define your passion and purpose. The point is, Do Something!
Self- limiting beliefs can be like quick sand and prevent you from moving in the direction you want. This condition doesn’t have to be permanent. Take inventory of where you are and where you want to be. Let go of anything that is holding you back. Recreate your circle to include people who support your dream. Gather up your cheering team! You don’t have to be stuck…the power to break free has always been right in front of you…one step at a time.
You Got This!
To help you with that first step, here’s a free download. “Detoxing Self-Limiting Belief Worksheet”. Use it today and let’s get this journey started!
Beverly Jones-Durr is known as the “Clarity Coach” because she teaches clients, consultants and other service professionals how to eliminate the fog, remove the clutter and focus on their purposeful and intentional path. She is the creator of Sistahs Unlimited, a program that teaches women how to develop their authentic selves and create action plans that are both attainable and measureable. Become a VIP today and learn how to live your best life! You can also follow Beverly on Twitter, FaceBook and YouTube.